On a recent project, we were trying to justify tuning the stack size
down on the app tier.  Here's what I found:

Default in Sun JDK 1.2 was 128kb
Default in Sun JDK 1.3 was 256kb
Default in Sun JDK 1.4 on windows is 512kb
Default in IBM JDK 1.5 is 256kb on all platforms (http://tinyurl.com/gbfd4)
Default in JRockit JDK 1.5 is 64k (win) or 128kb (linux)
(http://tinyurl.com/kapbp)
The old volano chat scalability reports used 32kb

The kicker is that Sun JDK 1.5 on unix uses the ulimit stack size
setting.  So my James instance with its ulimit stack size of 8192kb
and 131 threads.... that's roughly 1 GB of memory used by James just
for its silly threads.  No wonder this box is churning the swap space!

Anyway, I've restarted my James instance stack size down to 256k
(-Xss256k) and isn't failing so far.  Hopefully could be a nice
recommendation to put somewhere.  In fact with James architecture that
is thread heavy but very stack shallow (assuming you're not running
JNI stuff in some mailet), we could probably make the stack size even
smaller.

Just 2 cents for the night.

--
Serge Knystautas