robert burrell donkin wrote:

> On 1/4/07, Steve Brewin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Lokesh Babu wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > i have to integrate Jsieve with james mailserver,can anyone
> > > please provide
> > > the process of jsieve integration with james
> mailserver/hmailserver.
> >
> > Take a look at package org.apache.jsieve.samples.james and
> be sure to read
> > package.html. As noted, this is a partial integration with
> James for demo
> > and testing purposes.
> >
> > Full integration is a pending James activity awaiting the
> completion of our
> > IMAP implementation which will bring with it the required
> infrastructure to
> > make jSieve truly useful.
>
> IMAP needs work but is usable ATM
>
> what particular commands does jslieve require?
>
> - robert

The Sieve spec. is predicated on exploiting a subset of the IMAP commands
which are not present in POP3, which is why we have never moved forward. I
can't remember exactly which commands, but the spec. is quite clear.

Other issues which I am trying to recall from at least 2 years ago at a high
level are...

- A major aspect of Sieve is the possibility of a script per user so the
user repository has to be able to maintain a reference to a unique script.

- If the Mailet API exposed more we could launch jSieve as a Mailet,
otherwise we need to modify our processor chain to accomodate additional
processors to the mailets for local delivery, such as jSieve. I've always
felt a sieve enabled local delivery mailet is the cleanest approach.

- The James Mailet implementations need some refactoring to enable the
behaviour to be exploited by optional Sieve commands (Sieve requires a
standard set of commands and allows optional ones). This would give James a
large arsenal of sieve scripting possibilities over and above the standard
ones.

You could search the archives for more detailed info. from the the time of
the discussions as its more persistent than my memory.

Cheers

Steve