Stefano Bagnara wrote:

> robert burrell donkin wrote:
> > On 1/13/07, Joachim Draeger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> This could be perfectly done when you are reading the data
> from file
> >> system, as it is planned for the future. The optimal way
> is just passing
> >> over the InputStream, of course.
> >> AFAIK current JDBC drivers (except oracle?) are not able
> to stream BLOBs
> >> without loading it completely into memory.
> >> Another problem could be transferring a big message (20MB)
> over a slow
> >> dialup connection, which would block one DB connection for
> a long time.
> >> So with JDBC there is probably no way to avoid the byte
> array for the
> >> body.
> >
> > this is one area where hybrid file-database data stores
> (such as JCRs)
> > may well have performance benefits over pure database
> implementations
>
> "All that glitters is not gold"
>
> Does JCR spec support streaming objects while writing to the
> repository?

> Do current JCR implementations correctly support streaming (without
>
> I remember I had big issues with streams and JackRabbit:
> maybe it is an
> hole in the spec, or maybe a JackRabbit issue, or maybe I've not been
> smart enough, but when I read this streaming thread I recall that I
> should not be so happy to put +1 on JCR in later discussions ;-)

Like you, I would be against anything non-performant. It is true that there
are open issues with streaming in JCR, but I would guess they will be
resolved long before we get to use it.

If, and its a big uncertain and I am sure highly debatable if, we decide
that a JSR-170 (or the subsequent JSR-270) API was something we wanted to
use and Apache JCR was the implementation we wanted to use, and these were
still outstanding issues, we could be community spirited and help resolve
them.

I think the number of conditions in the above statement are indicative of
how far we are away from this being an issue today!

Cheers

-- Steve