On 1/22/07, Stefano Bagnara <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
robert burrell donkin wrote:
> On 1/22/07, Stefano Bagnara <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Does anyone know (or can provide links to) what is the right procedure
>> to use (if possible) ASLv2 licensed code inside an ASF project (James) ?
>
> it's a little involved :-/
>
> is there any chance that we might be able to approach the appropriate
> people for a grant?
>
> - robert

Well, I was interested in the procedure when we simply know the code is
ASLv2 and we have no chance to get in touch or they don't want to give
the grant.

AIUI the incubator PMC has been tasked by the board as the point of
entry for all external code. so, the incubator may need to be
involved. i don't recall any policy for this so it may need to be
developed for this case.

the answers which follow are with my PMC hat removed

(noel may wish to post something more authoritative)

I know we can use a jar by adding the NOTICE text and appending their
LICENSE to our LICENSE, but I don't know what to do if we have to change
something in that jar or if we need a branch of that code.

changing something in a third party jar is dubious

before considering this, you need to get the ok from legal discuss

I know it is always better to search for alternative paths, but in the
end, it should be possible to reuse ASLv2 code and redistribute
something modified under the same ASLv2 license, right? I think that the
license allows it, but I don't know what restriction ASF impose to us in
a similar case.

with care, it is possible. beware that this has the potential to be a
*lot* of trouble in the medium term and is an increasingly difficult
issue. i would *strongly* advise talking about the specifics of the
case before committing it.

the minimum is legal compliance. that means you need to ensure that
the header and copyright notice are retained in the file. the notices
in the NOTICE file under which the code is distributed will need to be
copied into the NOTICE file for james. a note should be added to the
LICENSE file. i may have missed some stuff so you need to ask on
legal-discuss to make sure you have it right.

apache also needs to be able to track the origin of the code for audit purposes

(i am working on a legal auditing ontology but it won't be finished
for a few weeks yet. i expect some refinements to the treatment when
it's done.)

for the moment, the original should be committed in an separate
transaction with a good commit message noting the origin of the code.
care needs to be taken when modifying the source and records should be
carefully kept about these modifications.

- robert