On 1/24/07, robert burrell donkin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 1/23/07, Serge Knystautas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<snip>

> I would suggest looking briefly at the raw IMAP protocol.  It makes
> the protocol nasty, but every command gets a unique token so that
> requests and responses are asynchronous.  I would presume this is why
> someone like Andy will question the larger scalability of the protocol
> given its complexity and how the asynchronous nature of rich email is
> built right into the protocol instead of having the client create
> multiple HTTP connections in a REST style.

not just Andy :-)

there are quite a few of us, now...

IMAP is broken. a new RESTful protocol is needed.

an advanced server capable of supporting both a next generation
protocol and IMAP would be very cool

Yes, but... my company's new IMAP server provider supports the IDLE
command, so I get alerted immediately when a new email arrives
(http://email.about.com/od/emailbehindthescenes/g/imap_idle.htm).  I
did a test from my gmail account last night...  I swear 0.2 seconds
after I clicked "send", Thunderbird dinged and showed the newly
arrived message.  I almost thought it was an error message as I had
barely started moving my hand away from the keyboard.

Ok, so it's not the killer app for email, but you would lose features
like that if you moved to a RESTful protocol AFAICT.

--
Serge Knystautas
p. 301.656.5501