On 7/11/07, Jochen Wiedmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
It took me about 4 hours to create the patch for MIME4J-19. (Pull parser
API) Given my experiences with commons-fileupload, I believe it would take
another 6 hours or so to rewrite MIME4J-19 a second time in order to use a
single, buffered InputStream, which would even be able to provide
information like line and column number and byte offset.

This sounds very promising.  I had to work on parsing a huge XML doc
that would have been impossible with DOM, and SAX is a pain to use.  I
found the StAX parser [1] that is available in Java 6, and it's a
cursor based/pull-style XML parser.  I found the pattern to be very
very effective and seems like it could address identical issues that
affect mime parsing.

I'm not sure if/how they handle writing/modilfying XML documents, but
might be interesting to see how they address that for Mime4j.  It
looks like this is one of the rare JCP groups that actually did a good
job collecting (rather than inventing) requirements and solutions.

[1]
http://www.javabeat.net/javabeat/java6/articles/2007/06/java-6-0-new-features-part-2/2

--
Serge Knystautas