On 8/2/07, Bernd Fondermann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 8/2/07, Zsombor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > currently?
> out
> > > the
> > >
> > > i run it in a separate VM and ask eclipse to attach to it
> > >
> > > when you start pheonix, you need to add something like
> > >
> > > -Xdebug -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=n,address=5000
> > >
> > > to PHOENIX_JVM_OPTS
> > >
> > > here's an snippet from my bash script:
> > >
> > > PHOENIX_JVM_OPTS="$PHOENIX_JVM_OPTS -Xdebug
> > > -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=n,address=5000"
> > > export PHOENIX_JVM_OPTS
> > >
> > > - robert
> > >

> > You mean, that every time you made a change, you create a new sar file,
> copy
> > that to a phoenix lib, and you start with that script ? It's a little
> bit
> > elaborate process, isn't it ?
>
> It depends. If you only make simple changes, Eclipse + JVM are able to
> replace the compiled code while running. If you change class
> signatures (remove/add method etc.) you'd have to run the whole build
> process and restart the server.
>
> I'd agree this is too complicated. Eventually, we get James to run
> from Spring, so the turnaround should at least become somewhat
> quicker.
>
>   Bernd

Hi,

 Finally i've been able to run James with the Spring container, it's a much
simpler environment for me to develop. My plan is to write a
Hibernate/Spring based IMAP backend, with a 'dbfile'  and pure 'db'
semantics. I will happily share it (contribute it), if someone interested
when it's finished. Currently I have one minor patches to add the following
method to the FileSystem interface:
    public InputStream getResource(String fileURL);
With the ability to load resource from the classpath instead of the
filesystem (with the "classpath://" prefix), and i've modified the base
services to use this method instead of the getFile(...), where it possible
and meaningful. With this in place i'm able to put all my config files to
the classpath, (the sqlResources too), and run James from Eclipse. I know
it's not too big improvement, but it's a nice to have feature :) At least,
for me :)
 I have some question about the current IMAP code in the trunk. I know it's
highly experimental code, and never released, but I'm curious to ask that do
you think that the current API with the
MailboxManagerProvider/MailboxManager/ImapMailboxSession will see
revolutionary, or evolutionary changes ? I mean, that do you plan to rewrite
it from scratch, or only minor method additions/deletions will occur? I
know, you cant promise anything, but I dont want to waste my time, if
someone totally rewrote the backend interface in the last few days, and
intends to commit it  in the near future :)

BR,
 Zsombor