On 8/15/07, Danny Angus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I think that I agree with roberts issue regarding MailAddress (MAILET-9)
> I would like to propose that the API specify an interface and possibly
> an InternetAddress wrapper if we produce an RI. but that in general
> the container should be concerned with RFC compliance decisions not
> the API and therfore the existing MailAddress should move back to
> james-server.
>
> WDYT?

I think I grot MAILET-9 finally.  I like MailAddress as an interface.
I see 3 possible constructors/implementations...
a) RFCStrictMailAddress (strict)
b) StringMailAddress (loose)
c) JavaMailAddress (wraps InternetAddress)

I think if we pushed a) and b) to server-dev, then we would logically
tell JavaMail to add c).  I don't see that happening and don't believe
it makes a lot of sense for any involved.  I think it would look even
weirder if 2 implementations are in another project but then the
mailet API contains one other impl to another project.

I agree with Danny that it's up to the server to manage the
compliance, but I think it would do that by choosing the appropriate
impl that's available in the mailet API.  If it really needed
something beyond that, there could be an extension in James server,
but the standard impls should be bundled with mailet.

I have concern about c)... would you expect setters called on
MailAddress to reflect the underlying InternetAddress?  I would assume
so with a term "wrapper", but I don't think that's feasible to
implement.  Maybe it is.

--
Serge Knystautas
p. 301.656.5501