On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 9:33 PM, Markus Wiederkehr
<markus.wiederk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 10:27 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin
> <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 8:05 PM, Markus Wiederkehr
>> <markus.wiederk...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I don't like the idea very much. Not that it wouldn't be nice to have
>>> but the necessary changes in Mime4J would be too drastic in my
>>> opinion.
>>>
>>> I think the idea behind this issue is to improve performance. I wonder
>>> if that's even possible considering that it would require two passes
>>> to fully parse a message.
>>>
>>> Also not every InputStream is capable of telling the current position
>>> and seeking to a position and opening a new InputStream from there
>>> (the basic idea behind JavaMail's SharedInputStream). So in many cases
>>> it would be necessary to copy the message to a storage that is capable
>>> of creating such special input streams before parsing. This would
>>> further degrade performance.
>>>
>>> And last but not least I think Stefano's comment on potential nested
>>> encodings is a valid concern.
>>
>> AIUI this is related to concerns about memory usage for big documents
>> but i'm not sure that the proposal is the best solution
>
> That's what StorageProvider is for IMO.

there are some potential sem-DOM use cases upstream in the protocols
(IMAP, NNTP) and potentially also in mailet 3 but let's leave this
till after the 0.6 release. probably worthwhile analysing these use
cases and seeing whether StorageProvider completely satisfies them.
this can be reviewed at the same time.

>> i'm tempted just to move to 0.7 for the moment
>
> Fine by me..

done

- robert