Hi Eric,

first of yes it should just work with coping the config.xml :)

Anyway if you want to use Spring you even could give the pure-spring
deployment a try to see if it works for you. Its currently located in
a sandbox and hopefully will get merged soon to trunk to remove the
whole phoenix stuff (Just wait for more votes ;)).

You can grab it from here:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/server/sandbox/active/pure_spring_deployment/

and build it with:
# ant clean dist

After that just copy your config.xml to conf/james-config.xml.

Any feedback is welcome :)

Bye,
Norman