Hi Ioan,

Even if James can be considered as a replacement for existing de-facto mailservers (simply for example by taking the maildir folder), the adoption will probably occur for some special use cases:
- Mail integration in existing JAVA applications/environment
- Mail processing during the spool, for some functions such as transformation, ai (artificial intelligence)... - Deployment in the cloud (amazon...) with the addition of some components such as a distributed mailbox...
- IMAP extensions that wouldn't be implemented by others
- ...

For "standard" usage correctly served by today servers, the chance is high that we won't find today much echo in the "classical" segment. This may change as more and more James installations arise.

About the HBase samples, you can look at [1].
HBase needs Hadoop behind, so [2] could be interesting, even if the Hadoop API should normally not be called directly.

I will also ping the hbase mailing list that we launch a GSOC with their component (don't forget to register to their mailing list if this is not already the case).

Tks,
- Eric

[1] https://github.com/echarles/t4f-hbase
[2] https://github.com/echarles/t4f-hadoop