Dear group,

currently I am evaluating alternatives to import customer's emails into our
product, a hosted crm-software.

First let me explain, what we do, and then formulate my question.

We have a hosted crm-system, serving thousands of customers ( = individual
companies ), having one or many users, which may have one or many
emailaccounts each. As a crm-software we are eager to archive peoples
incoming and outgoing emails. Currently we have something like a centralized
automated pop/imap-client, running scheduled jobs, fetching mails from each
and every account of each user of each customer into the customers own
database. Making this scale is a hard task as you might guess. This is very
centralized, there is NOT one mailfetcherclient for each customer, only a
task for each customer, beeing run by some threadpool.

Now I thought, a james-server with a configured fetchmail could be a nicer
solution for our problem and hopefully scale better.

The questions now are:

Would you expect james to somehow scale better when fetching emails from
thousands of remote accounts on hundrets of different servers all over the
world? Or is this somehow a task with an inherent "physical" limitation,
which has to come to it's limits soon, because what james does is not much
different from what we do now, because such a thing just can't be done a
different way?

Is there a way to programmatically add new pop- or imap-sources to fetch
mail from, at runtime?
Creating new users with the cli or via jmx is possible, as i saw in the
docs. This is important, because customers and user come (and sometimes go)
and we can not stop the server and reconfigure it each time a remote account
is added.

Does fetchmail support secure transportation for pop and imap?

Thanks for your support,
Markward