On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 8:29 PM, Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org> wrote:
> 2011/12/13 Steve Brewin <sbre...@synsys.com>:
>> Hi
>> Is anyone actively working on jSieve at the moment?

Not since University then injury limited my typing time...

> AFAIK, jsieve is used by Zimbra in a non-Avalon environment. I never
> looked at how they use jSieve, but it worked for them.

JSieve works well for me, and a release is probably due...

>> I suspect not as the code in trunk has a hard coded path that is relative to
>> how things would be in an Avalon deployment - "..apps/james/var/sieve", so
>> scripts  will never be found (unless you read the source code to
>> org.apache.james.transport.mailets.ResourceLocatorImpl) and create the
>> appropriate fie structure.
>
> ResourceLocator is not really "jSieve" but a James Server
> implementation or the ResourceLocator needed by jSieve and used by the
> jSieve based Sieve mailet.

+1

IMHO though the mailet works well enough, the mailet binding needs
some TLC and would benefit from reworking.

>> To be fair, there is a code comment that "This is a toy implementation". To
>> at least keep this working are there any objections to my changing the
>> relative path to ../sieve. On a *nix platform I would expect this to be
>> mapped to a subdirectory of /var, but we don't need to enforce this in the
>> code base.

Having everything under a single root directory improves portability
but in general, I agree that hard coding is bad. Please feel free to
dive in and change it.

> It's been a long since I looked at james sources, but I guess the
> right way would be to use the FileSystem service we already use
> elsewhere (there is even a TODO in the javadocs for that
> ResourceLocatorImpl about this).
> For reference BayesianAnalysis is another mailet that uses the
> FileSystem service.

(One day I would like to be able to maintain using HTTP, so that was
the direction the code was heading in.)  Please feel free to dive in
and change it.

Robert