> My first questions are about SMTP.

After a bit of resisting, I finally bit the bullet and downloaded IntelliJ. I
am now able to compile and navigate my way through the code in an IDE, so I
should be able to make better progress.

> * How does James model SMTP?
> * Where can I find SMTP related concepts in the code?
> * What are the related modules?

I noticed there there is a protocols project, which has a protocols-smtp
sub-project. However, I noticed that there is also a
james-server-protocols-smtp project.

Why are there two smtp protocol projects?

By the way, just as a remark, I noticed that in both cases there is no
separation of API / implementation. 😬

Is there any intention to fix that in order to make the system more modular?

> * How would I build my own SMTP server?
> * What other information is relevant to SMTP that I may want to include?

Still open questions.

Cheers,
=David