Hello René,

Thanks for raising the topic here.

Le 05/05/2021 à 16:31, Rene Cordier a écrit :
> Hello guys,
>
> [...]
>
> 1. If authRequired is set to false, we should reject verifyIdenty=true,
> as it makes no logical sense. People might need to update their James
> running installation though (but easy)

By far my prefered option.

Yes some people need to reconfigure smtpserver.xml but at least we don't
take implicit decisions.

> 2. If authRequired is set to false, we can silently ignore
> verifyIdentity is set to true.

The option that I like the least... It IMO gives a false sense of safety
(you might believe senders are verified but they actually are not).

> 3. We keep this current behavior, but need to change the documentation
> accordingly and add a warning log as well during James startup.

This look fine to me. Verifying senders implies forcing local users to
authenticate (overwise the work-around is too simple...). However from
an admin perspective it would be harder to diagnose some SMTP
transaction being rejected compared to a server not starting.

> I personally prefer the first one, as this is the way it's documented
> for now and I found it more logical. However, it's completely opened to
> discussion (thus the mail).
>
> Depending on the feedback, will create the according JIRA fix ticket.

I think we can reuse JAMES-3525 as it is closely related...

Cheers,

Benoit