My only concern would be those people who are still, for some reason, not
yet ready to move to James 3.x - yes, there are still some out there.  They
are more likely to be using the file repo than 3.x users.  If they are
using a file repo, we might want to keep a migration tool around to migrate
their 'old messages' to one of the newer repos.  I know we don't always
think about it, but some organizations (particularly government ones) have
a records retention policy that mandates they keep old emails for years
rather than days.  Those users need a - maintained - way of migrating from
the file repo to the newer one.

Just my two cents.