On Wed, July 28, 2010 4:45 am, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 6:39 AM, Tom Parker <t...@carrott.org> wrote:
>> We are going to Samoa for 2 primary school deployments with 50 XO-1.0
>> laptops in each school, on 30 July 2010. We've been asked to set up a
>
> Excellent! That sounds very interesting!
>
>> 1 EEE Box EB1012 - 2GB ram, 250GB hard disk, dual core 1.6GHz Atom 330
>> 2 Ubiquity Networks NanoStation2 802.11b/g 400mW Outdoor AP/Bridge
>> 1 Switch
>
> Very nice gear -- the EEE Box is fanless, and the NanoStation2 looks
> reasonably safe for outdoors. Will be very interested in hearing about
> your results with that gear.

After advice here I'm using 3 PicoStation 100mW units instead. They come
with POE injectors so you don't need a POE switch (but have more of a maze
of cables in your switch room).

> Hard drive size is ample, processing power and ram are plenty. I think
> you are very well geared up! My only comment is that the EEE Box has
> only on NIC -- so you'll need to use xs-swapnics to get it on eth1.

The EEE Box has a wireless NIC too. That wasn't tooo hard to set up and
now I can test routing between the XO lan and my home lan. I'm not sure if
the wireless NIC is suitable for a WAN connection, but I'm thinking it
probably isn't (I couldn't remove the antenna for example).

Tom.