On Tue, Dec 07, 2010 at 03:19:40PM +1100, David Leeming wrote:
> > G'day David,
> > XO-1 software release 10.1.2 is based on Sugar 0.84, which moved to
> > using gconf for storing this setting.
> > What should work is:
> > 1.  start Terminal activity,
> > 2.  type
> >     sugar-control-panel -c registration
> >3.  use ctrl-alt-erase to restart Sugar.
> >If that doesn't work, please let me know, as I'd like to track it.
>
> Sorry it has taken me a while to get round to testing this. Well it does
not
> work. In terminal, the command above gives a lot of text feedback,
referring
> to a configuration server.

>> Good, please provide the text feedback, it is critical for understanding
>> the problem.  You can capture that with a screenshot, Alt/1, or use the
>> Linux script command.

Hi James, thanks for responding so quickly. Actually we can set up accounts
on the XS manually of course. But we need to know how to do this. The text
output is below

sugar-control-panel -c registration

sugar-control-panel: Failed to contact configuration server; some possible
causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have
stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/
for information. (Details -  1: Failed to get connection to session: Did not
receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not
send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply
timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.)

> >There's an alternate method using the gconftool-2 program that is
> somewhat more complex.
>
> gconftool-2 --set --type=string \
> /desktop/sugar/backup_url \
> ''
>
> And finally a brute force method "rm -rf .gconf" but this destroys other
> settings, most of which may not be important.

>> Did either of these alternate methods work?

- gconftool method gave same output as the first (as above)
- rm -rf .gconf gave no errors but after reboot there is no "Register"
option present in the home view shutdown menu, only Shutdown and My
Settings. So I guess no.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/