On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 8:44 AM, Xavier Carcelle
<xavier.carce...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear XS folks,
>
> to follow-up on the hardware threads, I have tried to sum-up some
> reflexions about the hardware possible to build up the XS/book-server
> @ our deployment in NosyKomba (Madagascar)
>
> =Energy
> The electricity is produced w/ solar panel (2 x 230W) producing a 24V-DC
> network
> => we need to supply the maximum of devices/appliances in 12V/24V-DC
> to maximize the usage of the electricity
> =>A 12v-DC network is preferred because most computers/network devices
> power-supply are in the range 9-17V-DC (ATX power supply are producing
> 12V/5V/3V3/-12V from 110/220V-AC or 12v-DC)
> =>APC solutions with monitoring of the battery load interacting with
> the XS over Ethernet link could help to shutdown/halt properly the
> linux kernel in case of power outages
> ==>I am looking at how can i stop smoothly the services while powered
> by 12V-DC and some batteries/regulators ?

Yep, we need to monitor our battery load, depending on the hardware we
could have the power info. I don't know about the FITPC, but we could
set up something quickly.
Or we use an analog input in relation with our electrical power,
define a range in which we should poweroff the board…
The best should be to have a small device, idle quite all the time,
sending a shutdown ip frame to the board when the load is critical
(too low or too high?)

> =School server (separated or merged XS and Book-server)
>
> There is several propositions of hardware :
>
> =>reliable (PC-like solutions)
> *Advantech ARK-3440 (w/ tropicalized hard drives in RAID6) supplied in
> 24V-DC (usually 180W - ATX) (~= 1000€)
> *MSI WindBox DE500-5123 (newegg.com) - 169€
> *MSI 6676-001BUS (amazon.com) + 4gb DDR2-800 200pin notebook form
> (CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 200-Pin DDR2 800 at $45 and 2TB SATA hard drive
> (Samsung) at $80
> *fitPC2 : http://www.fit-pc.com/web/fit-pc/fit-pc2-specifications/ + ssd hdd
> *fitPC3
>
> =>low energy :
> *Sheeva or dream "plug" supplied in 12/24V-DC (ARM-based CPU)
> *flash/hard drives storage (ARM architecture) and connected in
> Ethernet/Wi-Fi (usually 10W)
>
> =>experimental : RasperriPi (less than 5W)
>
> =>ARM based :
> *XO 1.75 (? W) as a XS server with a usb-to-ethernet adapter for wired
> connexion to the lan
> *OpenWRT devices w/ external storage (foneras, wrt54g, ...)

Kévin Raymond
(shaiton)
GPG-Key: A5BCB3A2