Hi, Adam

The model I have been pursuing is that the library contents are checked out by the child - i.e. copied to the Journal on the XO. There is no need to be connected to the school server to read a book. The same approach applies to media (audio, image, video).

Naturally, the child will have to erase some library items from the Journal from time to time, particularly with XO-1.

The schools I am working with have no access to the internet so keeping the server on to share internet access is not needed.

There are technical issues to provide this capability for Wikipedia articles and some work will probably be needed to enable download of Khan Academy videos (beyond the Arithmetic and Pre-algebra group which is supported by the Learn Activity). I suspect some work will be needed for the maps. Currently Nick Doiron's Map Activity expects to be online to Google Maps or Open Street Maps and to build map-packs on the XO. In addition, Braddock has had pre-render the tiles. I don't yet know what impact this has on the Map Activity.

Tony