From: Anish Mangal
Sent: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 2:51 PM
To: xsce-devel
Cc: XS Devel
Subject: Re: [XSCE] XSCE/xsce and activitycetral/dxs repository integration in
a branch preserving history

I think this approach makes sense. As I understand it:

* We want to be good historians and follow the proper workflow, which also
implies that "master" should ideally never be broken.
* While we are switching to ansible, we do the switch *in a branch* called dxs
and *not master*
* All fixes and porting efforts happen on the dxs branch. This implies that ALL
pull requests must be created against xsce:dxs rather than xsce:master.
* Once the port is done, it is merged into master. All development happens on
master.

The risk we run is that the dxs branch will become the active branch being
worked upon. Which is non-ideal (All development must ideally happen against
master). So we have a couple of options:

a. Merge the dxs branch with the current set of dxs commits into master. Follow
all development there.
b. Set a hard deadline for merging dxs into master.

I think I like option a. better.
Option b. has the advantage of ensuring a working master.

Thoughts?

Regardless of which path we choose, it's a good idea to keep the dxs history,
and the dxs branch should be created (Steps 1. and 2. from Miguel's email)

Anish

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 9:28 AM, Miguel González