Noel J. Bergman wrote:

Does anyone know of an approach or standard (commercial or not) that
efficiently validates the email address of a sender?

Digital signatures. I keep thinking that eventually they will become mandatory, and that mail without a valid digitial signature will be considered spam by default.

That would really increase the difficulty, but there is still nothing stopping me from creating or buying a digital signature in the name Noel J. Bergman.

And in the worm case, it is likely that it will be entirely possible to send messages from your computer with your digital signature. Unless the signature is kept on a card which also processes the signing, and the pin code is entered for each sent mail and entered on the card or at least on the card reader and definitely not on the computer.

Still, it will surely be an improvement.

/tobe