From: Jason Webb [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2003 3:58 AM
To: 'James Users List'; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Scaling JAMES onto More Than One Server

During our tests with the 2 Qmail, 2 James server system we used old
boxes no faster than 450Mhz PII with 256Mb RAM in each. The database was
MySQL running on a SUN Ultra 10, but we used file based repositories on
each of the James servers.

The DL580 was a customers server and they had everything bar the
database on it.

We don't normally use database-backed spool or mail repositories. Most
of our customers use MSSQL which has some serious locking problems when
running under load.

You have the sequence correct. Qmail gets the mail, our mailets process
the mail and give it back to Qmail for transmission. This gives use both
speed and reliability without resorting to expensive clustering
solutions.

-- Jason