Well in the hosting environment I'm looking at there is one UI/controller application and everything has to integrate with that environment. Integration is a requirement of the design for a variety of reasons - but mostly because that's just they way they want it :) As such I'm trying to find the best way to do that. Most certainly I could strip down the code and do something custom and then be in integration hell forever as James moves forward, but I have to ask - is the idea to model sendmail as a system service or to provide an application level service for sending and receiving email. If its the former, then yes - embedding is kinda pointless. If its the later then there should be some sort of API or remoting service that allows an application to tell James what to do.