I am going to attempt to answer my own questions - if someone could
sanity check me I'd appreciate it:

>* Emails sent during that period of time never showed up in
> /var/mail/spool or in any other repository.  I suppose those messages
>are lost, yes?

The service() method in
org.apache.james.transport.mailets.FromRepository intially sets the
incoming Mail's state to GHOST.  The Bounce class does the same thing. I
don't recall exactly but I think I saw this in the code before and it is
a way (maybe THE way) of sending mail to /dev/null.

>* Can anyone explain why the FromRepository mailet affected normal mail
>activity?  Or was it not to blame?

Based on the previous it looks like ANY incoming Mail is used merely as
a trigger for the FromRepository class to execute.  The triggering Mail
is sacrificial and sent immediately to slaughter.

While effective, this is obviously not an ideal solution and should be
labelled appropriately.  I hope this will serve as a warning to someone.

Would anyone agree that this Mailet should really be implemented as
either a one-time initialization task only or a Command? I could see
this being very handy as a Command since the server could remain up. I'm
fairly new to the server so I'm just assuming these concepts exist in
its architecture. Also I'm not set up as a developer yet.

Please correct me if I'm wrong! Thanks -
Kent