ok, slowly, the problems are falling away.

I have created a custom mailet, but it is not recognizing on James restart, causing startup to fail.

Right now, it is essentially the AddFooter mailet. I combined the code of AddFooter and AbstractAddFooter, figuring that I'd customize from there, once it is working. This is the resulting VTBList.java file: (sample at www.zebraspot.com/VTBList.java )

Next I created my jar file in SAR-INF/lib using :
jar cf /si/james-2.3.2/apps/james/SAR-INF/lib/VTBList.jar /si/ VTBList.java Some pages in my google searching mentioned using maven. Is this necessary?

Next I added:
      <mailetpackage>com.zebraspot.mailets</mailetpackage>
and later
        <mailet match="All" class="VTBList">
                <text>Warning: Attachments may contain viruses!</text>
         </mailet>
to the config.xml.

Now, JAMES will not start up without error. It looks in com.zebraspot.mailets for the VBTList mailet, but does not find it. From phoenix.log: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: Requested mailet not found: VTBList. looked in [, org.apache.james.transport.mailets., org.apache.james.transport.mailets.smime., com.zebraspot.mailets.]).ERROR 2007-12-01 21:20:26.655 [Phoenix.] (): There was an error running phase "startup" for Block named "spoolmanager". (Reason: Component named "spoolmanager" failed to pass through the Starting stage. (Reason: org.apache.mailet.MailetException: Could not load mailet (VTBList);

 Googling has not given me any clues.

Any ideas? I suspect it is something to do with how I am creating my mailet's .jar file. Does it need to have a specific name?

Simon