hi Jerry

I do take your point as I only offer webmail access.

However, debian (for instance) offers scripts as part of both its exim4 and
dovecot packages, purpose of which is to create certificates. I don't think
they ever did that for apache.

So I can't see that they would do that if outlook, thunderbird, sylpheed, k9
etc and other dedicated email client programs would complain at that.

As we know, you must renew LetsEncrypt certs every 90 days. Compared to what
was available for our web sites before this service, we are not going to
complain! However you can certainly create a self signed cert that lasts for a
year (dovecot does that), not sure if you can spin up one that doesn't expire.

So I still don't see why you have good reason for wanting your James instance
to offer a LetsEncrypt cert when I'm sure there are many more servers running
exim4 and dovecot behind a self signed one (even if the admins keep those up to
date!).

--
David Matthews
m...@dmatthews.org