>Hello Sean,
>
>Email trust is definitely a complicated thing. Getting third party
>accepting your emails is a complex task [1]. To send emails to (say)
>Gmail, you would need to buy a domain, register you MXs, set up
>scertificates, battle with DKIM and SPF, etc...
>
>[1] https://james.apache.org/howTo/spf.html
>https://james.apache.org/howTo/dkim.html

I'd add to that DMARC, which as far as I can make out is a pointless addition
to the fight against spammers, unlike DKIM & SPF. I'd agree they are a bit of a
pain to set up, especially DKIM, but at least I see the sense in them in
addition to actually getting your email delivered to an inbox rather than junk.

An alternative read at

https://dmatthews.org/email_auth.html

covers similar ground

--