Hello Sean,

Sorting is implemented in James search backends. It works on top of JMAP
protocol (RFC-8621), and programmatically calling the mailbox manager.

If what you are interested in is IMAP, the SORT extension (RFC-5256) is
currently not implemented. It should not be too hard to implement as it
is mostly IMAP wiring. I can provide guidance in implementing it if
needed. I would also be glad to be sponsored for implementing this.

Best regard,

Benoit