Hello John,

The MailDir implementation (which will be retired in 3.7.0 because
unmaintained) stores all the messages on disk.

The JPA implementation stores the whole message in the database (in your
case postgres) within a blob column (pure SQL).

If you are looking for another way to structure the message storage,
this might need to be done via a custom mailbox implementation, which is
not an easy task...

That being said, Postgres proposes nice non-SQL abstractions for binary
storage that, I am sure, performs far better than manual file management
(also requires a dedicated mailbox implementation).

Best regards,

Benoit TELLIER