Hi Kelly,

On 22/05/2013 5:27 AM, Kelly O'Hair wrote:
I am pretty sure you want to keep the symbol in the library and have it
return an error code, rather than remove the symbol entirely.
Most tools will not necessarily know what kind of jdk/jre is being used,
and getting a runtime linker
error means the tool can't get off the ground, unless the tool library
is doing a dlsym() to see if the
symbol exists or not first, and I kind of doubt they would do that in
all cases, but maybe. Kind of
depends on what JDK implementations that they might expect their tool to
run on. Hard to tell.

The tools will have many different features, and maybe the need for this
symbol is only part of one
feature, and the other features might work fine in a minimal environment.

Granted, I'm speaking with very limited knowledge if this detailed
discussion, but removing symbols
from shared libraries can be a very disruptive thing to tool vendors.
Just a warning.

FYI the minimalVM doesn't provide any optional VM interfaces. This means that most of the JVM/TI functions are not even present in the binaries (just those needed to ask the question "do you have JVM/TI"). So we're already well done the path of removing symbols.

David
-----

-kto