On 8/2/2013 9:12 PM, serguei.spit...@oracle.com wrote:
Hi Bill,

A couple of more questions.

webrev.01/jvmti.html

An agent L whose image has been combined with the VM *is defined* as /statically linked/
if and only if the agent exports a function called Agent_OnLoad_L.

A question to the above.
Are we going to allow to link a library dynamically if it exports both
the Agent_OnLoad and Agent_OnLoad_L functions?
It can be convenient if a library exports both Agent_OnLoad and Agent_OnLoad_L as it can be linked statically or dynamically depending on the need without changes.

It would be nice but the problem is that you could only link one agent into the VM if it exported Agent_OnLoad. Otherwise there would be a symbol collision with the second agent you linked in that also had Agent_OnLoad. As an agent developer you will have to select one or the other at build time, either statically linked in or dynamic.
You already added the following statement to the JVMTI spec:
If a /statically linked/ agent L exports a function called Agent_OnLoad_L and a function called Agent_OnLoad, the Agent_OnLoad function will be ignored.

Could we say it in a shorter form?:
If a /statically linked/ agent L exports a function called Agent_OnLoad,
  the Agent_OnLoad function will be ignored.
I believe I copied this from JNI static linking JEP. If so, I'll probably leave it as is just for consistency with JNI static spec. JVM TI static linking spec is closely related to JNI static linking spec.

In this context would it be reasonable to add another statement:
If a /dynamically linked/ agent L exports a function called Agent_OnLoad_L,
  the Agent_OnLoad_L function will be ignored.

The same questions apply to the Agent_OnAttach and Agent_OnAttach_L entry points.

I'm out on vacation for a couple of weeks so I'll leave it up to Bob V. and yourself if you guys want to hash out better/different wording.

bill

Thanks,
Serguei