On 2013-08-27, at 10:01 AM, Bengt Rutisson <bengt.rutis...@oracle.com> wrote:

> Yumin,
>
> On 8/26/13 7:01 PM, Yumin Qi wrote:
>> Bengt,
>>
>>  Thanks for your comments.
>>  Yes, as you said, the purpose of rotating logs is primarily targeted for
>> saving disk space. This bug is supplying  customers another option to
>> prevent the previous gc logs from removed by restart app without making
>> copy. Now with this pid and time stamp included in file name,  we have more
>> options for users. It is up to user to make decision to or not to keep the
>> logs. We cannot handle all the requests in JVM, but we can offer the choices
>> for users I think. Any way, with either the previous rotating version, or
>> the one I am working, the logs will not grow constantly without limit to
>> blow storage out as long as users give enough attention.
>>
>>  My concern is for no log rotation, should we still use time stamp in file
>> name? I have one version for this, I hope get more comments for that.
>
> Sorry if I wasn't clear before. I am not worried about the case when log
> rotation is turned on. What I was worried about was the case where a user is
> not using log rotation but is still piping the GC output to a file. That file
> will be overwritten every time the VM is restarted. If we add time stamps to
> the file name for this case then the file will not be overwritten. I think
> that is a bit of a scary change. That's all.

This falls into the category of unexpected behaviour and I would agree that
unless log rotation has been specified I would not like to see the name
changed.. even though I'll admit to be bitten by having a log file
"accidentally" over written. That said, it would be excellent if the new %<x>
macros (where it makes sense of course) could be applied to the -Xloggc flag
even when rotation is not turned on.

Regards,
Kirk