Ok, thanks!
It is Ok that you did not clean this up.
The macro can still be used in the future.

Thanks,
Serguei

On 1/29/14 12:28 AM, Staffan Larsen wrote:

On 29 jan 2014, at 02:03, serguei.spit...@oracle.com <mailto:serguei.spit...@oracle.com> wrote:

Hi Staffan,

Sorry for being late, I thought it was already reviewed. :)

It looks good, just a minor question below.

Thanks!

make/bsd/makefiles/dtrace.make

Can this line be removed as it is not used in this file anymore?
  55 DTRACE_SRCDIR = $(GAMMADIR)/src/os/$(Platform_os_family)/dtrace

It is actually still used. Or actually not. It’s complicated and messy.

The bsd makefile has a lot of logic in it that was copied from the solaris makefiles for building jvm_db. But, jvm_db isn't used on OS X (there is no support for ustack helpers) so all that logic is never called from vm.make when building on OS X:

ifeq ($(OS_VENDOR), Darwin)
# no libjvm_db for macosx
build: $(LIBJVM) $(LAUNCHER) $(LIBJSIG) $(BUILDLIBSAPROC) dtraceCheck
echo "Doing vm.make build:"
else
build: $(LIBJVM) $(LAUNCHER) $(LIBJSIG) $(LIBJVM_DB) $(BUILDLIBSAPROC)
endif

So you might think that it would be built on other BSDs. But it isn’t because the whole jvm_db building stuff in dtrace.make is conditional on only building on OS X:

ifeq ($(OS_VENDOR), Darwin)

In short: it’s a mess. I didn’t clean this up, but maybe a future change will. Or maybe the hotspot makefile rewrite will.

Thanks,
/Staffan

Thanks,
Serguei