Hi Jesper,

On 1/28/14 11:09 PM, Jesper Wilhelmsson wrote:
Bengt,

Thanks for looking at the change.
Answers inline.

Bengt Rutisson skrev 28/1/14 2:02 PM:

Hi Jesper,

On 2014-01-27 21:46, Jesper Wilhelmsson wrote:
Staffan, Bengt, Mikael,

Thanks for the reviews!

I have made the changes you have suggested and a new webrev is available at:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jwilhelm/8028391/webrev.5/

Can you explain this code in psScavenge.cpp a bit? I am not sure I understand
what it wants to achieve and how it works if I have set NewSize and/or
MaxNewSize on the command line.

  532         size_t max_young_size = young_gen->max_size();
  533         if (MinHeapFreeRatio != 0 || MaxHeapFreeRatio != 100) {
534 max_young_size = MIN2(old_gen->capacity_in_bytes() / NewRatio,
young_gen->max_size());
  535         }

The intention of this code is to constrain the young space if someone is using the heap free ratio flags. Since it is a bit weird to talk about a "free ratio" in the young space, we use the heap free ratios to determine the size of the old generation, and then we use NewRatio to scale the young generation accordingly.

The use of NewSize and MaxNewSize shouldn't affect this decision at this point. They are mainly used to set the initial sizes and limits for the young generation which will be respected as we use the MIN of the NewRatio calculation and the young_gen->max_size().

I agree that it is hard to define "free" for the young gen. But this looks kind of strange to me. We guard the setting of max_young_size with both MinHeapFreeRatio or MaxHeapFreeRatio but we don't use any of them in the calculation.

We use the max_young_size for two purposes: calculating the survivor size and calculating the eden size. Maybe we can split it up somehow to get understandable logic. I'll think a bit more about this and come back later tonight with some comments.

This code should however only be executed if using adaptive size policy so I will add that to the if-statement.

That won't be necessary. That whole section is guarded by UseAdaptiveSizePolicy.

In arguments.cpp:

1572   if (UseAdaptiveSizePolicy) {
1573 // We don't want to limit adaptive heap sizing's freedom to adjust the
heap
1574     // unless the user actually sets these flags.
1575     if (FLAG_IS_DEFAULT(MinHeapFreeRatio)) {
1576       FLAG_SET_DEFAULT(MinHeapFreeRatio, 0);
1577     }
1578     if (FLAG_IS_DEFAULT(MaxHeapFreeRatio)) {
1579       FLAG_SET_DEFAULT(MaxHeapFreeRatio, 100);
1580     }
1581   }

Should these be FLAG_SET_ERGO instead? Not sure. Just asking.

I went back and forth on this one, but decided that I wanted to express that if using adaptive size policy, the default values of these flags should be different. I think it would work perfectly fine if using FLAG_SET_ERGO instead but I'm thinking that this is not really an ergonomic decision, but rather due to a different implementation.

OK. I am also undecided on what's best, so let's leave it as it is.

3705   if (MinHeapFreeRatio == 100) {
3706     // Keeping the heap 100% free is hard ;-) so limit it to 99%.
3707     FLAG_SET_ERGO(uintx, MinHeapFreeRatio, 99);
3708   }

Couldn't this just be part of Arguments::verify_MinHeapFreeRatio()?

This code moved from check_vm_args_consistency() to apply_ergo() since it is a ergonomic decision to change the value of the flag. I don't think this kind of changes should be done while checking argument consistency. verify_MinHeapFreeRatio() is called from check_vm_args_consistency().

I don't see why it is wrong to check this as argument consistency. Clearly MinHeapFreeRatio can only be a value between 0 and 99. In my opinion that would be best to check at startup.

attachListener.cpp

strncmp(name, "MaxHeapFreeRatio", 17) == 0

MaxHeapFreeRatio is 16 characters. Is the 17th character in the constant always NULL and this check verifies that I can write MaxHeapFreeRatioMoreCharacters and
get it to pass the strncmp?

Yes, that's what I want to achieve.

OK. Good.

(I assume that you mean "can't write MaxHeapFreeRatioMoreCharacters".)

Right ;)

It would be nice with a JTreg test that sets the flags to valid and invalid
values and checks that the flags have the right values after this.

Dmitry is working on the tests for this feature. I'll ask him to include a few tests for illegal values as well.

OK.

Did you have a look at the test/gc/arguments/TestHeapFreeRatio.java test? Is
that relevant to verify your changes?

No, my changes are not tested by TestHeapFreeRatio. I wrote a few lines about why towards the end of my last mail.

Sorry. Missed that. I will go back and check that email.

Thanks,
Bengt

Thanks,
/Jesper

Thanks,
Bengt

I agree with your assessment that it would be good to implement a generic way to verify manageable flags. I think it is a separate change though so I will
not attack that problem in this change.

As Mikael wrote in his review we have talked offline about the changes and how
to make them more correct and readable. Thanks Mikael for the input!

More comments inline.