On 15 maj 2014, at 03:48, David Holmes <david.hol...@oracle.com> wrote:

> On 14/05/2014 11:18 PM, Aleksej Efimov wrote:
>> David, Vitaly,
>>
>> I totally agree with Vitaly's explanation (Vitaly - thank you for that)
>> and code in shmemBase.c (the usage of enterMutex() function for
>> sending/receiving bytes through shared memory connection) illustrates on
>> how the connection shutdown event is used as a "cancellation token".
>
> Thanks for clarifying that.
>
> So if we were to encounter an abandoned mutex the code would presently have
> acquired the mutex but return an error, thus preventing a subsequent release,
> and preventing other threads from acquiring (but allowing current thread to
> recurisevely acquire. So this could both hang and cause data corruption.
>
> The new code will still return an error but release the mutex. So no more
> hangs (other than by conditions caused by data corruption) but more
> opportunity for data corruption.
>
> Obviously it depends on exactly what happens in the critical sections guarded
> by this mutex, but in general I don't agree with this rationale for making
> the change:
>
> 204     /* If the mutex is abandoned we want to return an error
> 205      * and also release the mutex so that we don't cause
> 206      * other threads to be blocked. If a mutex was abandoned
> 207      * we are in scary state. Data may be corrupted or inconsistent
> 208      * but it is still better to let other threads run (and possibly
> 209      * crash) than having them blocked (on the premise that a crash
> 210      * is always easier to debug than a hang).
>
> Considering something has to have gone drastically wrong for the mutex to
> become abandoned, I'm more inclined to consider this a fatal error and abort.
>
> But I'll let the serviceability folk chime in here.

I was involved in fixing this and writing the comment, so obviously I thought
it a good solution :-)

I do agree that it would probably be a good idea to consider this a fatal error
and abort. At that point in the code we don’t have any really nice ways of
doing that, though. We could just print an error and call abort(). What we are
doing now is returning an error from sysIPMutexEnter() and delegating the error
handling to the caller. We have tried to check all call paths to verify that
they do “the right thing” in the face of an error. It is obviously hard to
verify, but it looks like they all terminate the connection with some kind of
error message.

/Staffan