This is a new take on this old bug. Since my previous attempt [0], jtreg has
been update with a “driver” feature and this is exactly what these tests need.
Specifying “@run driver” (instead of “@run main”) will launch the test with no
vm arguments. Whatever arguments were specified in -vmoptions to jtreg will be
available in the System property test.vm.opts and the test code can use those
arguments when launching other processes.

For the JDI tests this is a very good match. The tests run two processes: one
debugger and one debuggee. It is really the debuggee that is being tested, the
the debugger is just driving the testing. So it is the debuggee that should be
invoked with the specified -vmoptions.

In this change I’ve changed all debuggers to be launched with “@run driver” and
all debuggees to be launched using the test.vm.opts options. This will remove
the need to the esoteric @debuggeeVMOptions file that was previously used to
pass arguments to the debuggee.

webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~sla/6622468/webrev.2.00/

The webrev is very boring to read, probably best to read the diff file
directly. test/com/sun/jdi/VMConnection.java has the only substantial change.

I have run this through JPRT with no failures.

Thanks,
/Staffan

[0]
http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/serviceability-dev/2013-August/011325.html