On 02/13/2015 01:46 AM, mark.reinh...@oracle.com wrote:
> New JEP Candidate: http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/240

Removal of the hprof agent interferes with my TLS performance work.  I'm
not complaining (removing cruft is always a good idea), I'm just
providing a data point.

If I understand VisualVM correctly, it is GUI-only, so it will not work
in headless deployments.  I'm not convinced that many production systems
allow remote management access (direct support for SSH tunneling might
address this concern, though).  It's sometimes a challenge to get
additional software installed in a production environment—and hprof is
just a command line option away.

I understand that hprof is not the best JVM profiler out there, but it
has been pretty useful to me.