From: Staffan Larsen
Sent: den 18 maj 2015 10:23
To: Srinivas Ramakrishna
Cc: serviceability-dev@openjdk.java.net serviceability-dev@openjdk.java.net;
hotspot-gc-...@openjdk.java.net
Subject: Re: PerfData counter: sun.gc.policy.generations in JDK 8

Looks like a good patch to me.

/Staffan

On 14 maj 2015, at 18:12, Srinivas Ramakrishna <HYPERLINK
"mailto:ysr1...@gmail.com"ysr1...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 1:08 PM, Srinivas Ramakrishna <HYPERLINK
"mailto:ysr1...@gmail.com"; \nysr1...@gmail.com> wrote:

With perm gen going away (and being replaced by metaspace) in JDK 8, it makes
sense that the counter

sun.gc.policy.generations should be "2", rather than "3". However, in JDK 8
that counter still says 3.

As I understand, the intention was that this counter would allow you to (for
example) know the range of

the sun.gc.generation.$num.* counters describing each of $num <
sun.gc.policy.generations in the heap.

Recall that the erstwhile perm gen in JDK 7 used to be synonymous with
sun.gc.generation.2, but the

JDK 8 avatars are now sun.gc.metaspace and sun.gc.compressedclassspace.

The fix is simple, and I can submit a patch. Is there an existing bug for this?

thanks!

-- ramki