Mario and Kirk -

Random followup to the comments:

Mario: Internally, we have both a callback mechanism (which is off by
default) and a sampling mechanism, which is always on.  We can certainly
contribute both.  The callback mechanism has a strict rule that you don't
call JNI in it.  The one thing you can do is register to throw an OOME
after you return from the allocation - some folks wanted to use this to
rate limit how much allocation a given request could do.

Kirk: We have had a bug open for a long time for an extension that says how
many GC cycles a given sample survived.  That might be useful, and would
actually be pretty easy to implement.

I don't want to do to much work on this (or, more likely, tell one of the
folks on my team to do it) until we have a way forward to get this
interface into some JDK distribution at some point.

Jeremy