> The following bug was filed to track this issue:
>
> JDK-8145278 Memory leak in splitPathList
>
> I added a comment to that bug report and it turns out
> that Dmitry had a similar comment back in November...
>
> The discussion need to move from the mailing list to
> the bug report.

According to the JBS Overview [1], I cannot comment on bug reports
until I achieve Author status, and according to the the OpenJDK
Projects page [2], I cannot obtain Author status until at least two of
my patches have been accepted. To date, only one patch of mine has
been accepted into OpenJDK. So, even though there are two issues here
(first cleaning up the code, second fixing the memory leak) I can't
make any comment to that effect in the bug tracker.

-Alex

[1] https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/general/JBS+Overview
[2] http://openjdk.java.net/projects/#project-author