On 18/03/2016 11:28 PM, Dmitry Samersoff wrote:
David,

Ignoring Dmitry's issue it still seems simpler/cleaner to just add the
desired precision value to the %s than to split into two print
statements. Or bite the bullet now and make the length immaterial by
breaking the name into chunks. It's as easy to fix as to write the
RFE :)

For this particular case the simplest solution is to use print_raw:

print_raw("\""\"); print_raw(get_thread_name()); print_raw("\""\");

I still see %.Ns as the simplest solution - but whatever.

But as soon as print() finally ends up with:

const int written = vsnprintf(buffer, buflen, format, ap);
DEBUG_ONLY(warning("increase O_BUFLEN in ostream.hpp -- output truncated");)

Complete fix should be something like:

int desired_size = vsnprintf(NULL, 0, format, ap);
if (desired_size > O_BUFLEN) {
     malloc
}

but it has performance penalty, so we should use some tricks to cover
most common %s/%d/%p cases.

So you want to remove the internal limitation instead of have the clients deal with it? Not sure it is worth the effort - IIRC that code can be used at sensitive times hence the simple approach to buffer management.

David

-Dmitry