Dmitry, here is how I see this situation: When we ran sun/tools/jps/TestJpsJar.java alone in the clean folder, it builds testlibrary classes implicitly and put it under the same folder with test class, i.e. to JTwork/classes/sun/tools/jps folder and test works fine. But sun/tools/jinfo/BasicJInfoTest.java builds testlibrary classes by "@build jdk.testlibrary.*" command and these classes are places in JTwork/classes/lib/testlibrary folder. After that sun/tools/jps/TestJpsJar.java skip building testlibrary classes, because these classes are already built and classpath contains path to these classes. Due to JDK-8165944 JpsHelper unable to add classes from second folder within classpath and test failed. And with your patch JpsHelper will add classes only from folder with test class.

Thanks,
Dmitry

On 15.09.2016 19:14, Dmitry Samersoff wrote:
Dmitry,

I'd reproduced it. I'll check what is happening.

-Dmitry

On 2016-09-15 15:34, Dmitry Dmitriev wrote:
Hi Dmitry,

I don't think that this solves the problem. If some test build
testlibrary before TestJpsJar.java, then testlibrary classes will be
outside the folder with JpsHelper class and thus missed in the jar file.

I can reproduce this problem with your patch applied:
1) Run sun/tools/jinfo/BasicJInfoTest.java in clean folder
2) Then run sun/tools/jps/TestJpsJar.java. TestJpsJar.java fails with
following error:
stderr: [Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
jdk/testlibrary/ProcessTools
         at JpsBase.main(JpsBase.java:73)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: jdk.testlibrary.ProcessTools
         at
jdk.internal.loader.BuiltinClassLoader.loadClass(java.base@9-internal/BuiltinClassLoader.java:366)

         at
jdk.internal.loader.ClassLoaders$AppClassLoader.loadClass(java.base@9-internal/ClassLoaders.java:185)

         at
java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(java.base@9-internal/ClassLoader.java:424)
         ... 1 more
]
  exitValue = 1

java.lang.RuntimeException: Expected to get exit value of [0]

Thanks,
Dmitry