On 1/29/18 10:35 AM, mandy chung wrote:
Thanks for the reply Paul.   Try to understand a little more on the specific from gc-specific memory pool you depend on.

On 1/29/18 8:27 AM, Hohensee, Paul wrote:

A name change would affect Amazon’s heap monitoring, and thus I expect it would affect other users as well.

As long as there are gc-specific memory pools, we’re going to need to be able to identify them, and right now that’s done via name.

MemoryPoolMXBean::getType returns "heap" memory type for GC-specific memory pools.  Are you using this method?  Do you use the name to build in specific characteristic of a memory pool (e.g. eden vs old gen)?

All the mxbeans are identified by name, so that’s a general design principle. The only way I can think of to get rid of name dependency would be to figure out what abstract metrics users want to monitor and implement them for all collectors. HeapUsage (instantaneous occupancy) is one, CollectionUsage (long-lived occupancy) is another, both of these for the entire heap, not just particular memory pools.

The sum of HeapUsage and CollectionUsage of all heap memory pools was expected to give an incorrect approximation for the entire heap usage.  Are you seeing issue/bug with the sum result?

typo: s/an incorrect approximation/an approximation.

Mandy

Mandy

That said, imo there will always be a demand for the ability to get collector and memory pool specific details, so I don’t see a way to get around providing named entities.

Paul