Hi Chris,

Thank you for taking care about this issue!

On 3/16/18 11:20, Chris Plummer wrote:
Hi,

I've resolved the issues I had before with not seeing all the stderr output when I tried to capture it. What I'd like to do now is have us decide how the output should be handled from the perspective a LingeredApp user (driver app). Currently all LingeredApp stdout is captured and gets be returned the the driver app by calling app.getAppOutput(). It does not appear in the .jtr file, but the test would have the option of dumping it there it it cared to. Only one test uses app.getAppOutput(). Currently all the LingeredApp stderr is redirected to the console, so it does not appear in the .jtr file.

Just a general comment to make sure I understand it and ensure we are in sync. It seems much more safe to always have both stdout and stderr outputs present in the .jtr automatically file independently of of what the test does.

So how do we want this changed? Some possibilities are:

(1) capture stderr just like stdout currently is, and leave is up the the driver app to decide if it wants to display it (after the app terminates).

It does not look good to me (see above) but maybe I'm missing something important here.

(2) capture stderr just like stdout currently is, but have LingeredApp automatically send captured output to driver app's stdout and stderr (after the app terminates).

The stdout and std err will be separated in this case, right?
Do you have a webrev for this?

(3) send the LingeredApp's stdout and stderr to the driver app's stdout as it is being captured (this was the original fix Igor suggested and the webrev supported). A minor alternative to this is to keep the two streams separated instead of sending both to stdout.

Let me know what you think. I'm inclined to go with 2, especially since normally there is little to no output from the LingeredApp.

The choice (2) looks good enough.
Not sure it is that important to have output from stdout and stderr sync'ed
but is is important to have the stderr present in the .jtr automatically.

The choice (3) looks even better if it is going to work well.
Not sure, it is really necessary.

Thanks,
Serguei

BTW, here's the CR and original webrev for reference:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~cjplummer/8198655/webrev.00/webrev/

thanks,

Chris