Hi Robbin,

First off: Thanks for looking! There were 3 comments here and I'll try to
address all three :)

>From easy to more difficult:
- The thread state keeping a pointer of the collector: yes I agree but it
follows the other collector implementations and with Serguei we tried to
keep that implementation in sync.
- Done for the orderAccess, I'll send a new webrev when we solve the next
conversation:

Now the hardest one (or the one that might generate the most conversation):

There are now three different implementations for putting the collector in
place:
  1) Minimum change to the collectedHeap.inline.hpp but the collectors are
not symmetrical anymore:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jcbeyler/8171119/heap_event.15/src/hotspot/share/gc/shared/collectedHeap.inline.hpp.udiff.html
     -> That looks like what you had.

Pro: no big change to the collectedHeap code, easy to see no overhead when
disabled
Con: collectors are not symmetrical anymore

   2) Small change to the collectedHeap.inline.hpp and collectors remain
symmetrical:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jcbeyler/8171119/heap_event.16/src/hotspot/share/gc/shared/collectedHeap.inline.hpp.udiff.html

Pro: small change all around
Con: not clear that having a handle created on each slowpath does not add
any overhead when disabled.

   3) Bigger change to collectedHeap.inline.hpp, collectors remain
symmetrical:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jcbeyler/8171119/heap_event.19/src/hotspot/share/gc/shared/collectedHeap.inline.hpp.udiff.html

That is the one that you reviewed.

Pro: code is a bit bigger for the collectedHeap but you have no overhead
again if disabled, the collectors remain symmetrical
Con: bigger change to the collectedHeap.

So what I see here is that we have to get a consensus for which
implementation is better. I don't like the (2), I worry about the overhead
of always doing a Handle in the slowpath. So I have a tendency to prefer
(1) or (3). With Serguei, we preferred (3).

What do you and the community think?

Thanks again for your review!
Jc