I do not have a better idea at the moment.

The ResourceExhausted event is one of many JVM/TI events. So we put in a
special case for this event because an agent out in the world tries to do
something that is not expressly forbidden by the spec, but it is a bad
thing to do with HotSpot. Okay. What about the next event? What about
the next agent? Once you've added a special case, where do you stop?

Dan