How does this solve the problem of HotSpotJVMCIRuntime.adjustCompilationLevel being called?

I don't think this fix is the right approach.  Doesn't is_interp_only_mode() only apply to the current thread?  I don't think it's safe to assume no compiles will happen in other threads, or that a method call target is not already compiled, because as far as I can tell, JVMTI only deoptimizes the active frames.  The bug report describes a case where the caller has been deoptimized while resolving a call.  I don't see how this fix prevents the target from being a previously compiled method.  But we do need to make sure not to call into compiled code, so I think the fix needs to be in code like SharedRuntime::resolve_static_call_C(), where it returns get_c2i_entry() if is_interp_only_mode() is true.  However, there is still another problem.  By allowing JVMTI to suspend the thread during call setup, but reporting the frame as still in the caller instead of the callee, we confuse JVMTI into thinking that execution will resume in the caller instead of the callee.  We may want to restrict where we offer JVMTI suspend points, and not offer a JVMTI suspend point in SharedRuntime::resolve_static_call_C and friends at all.

dl