From: Alan Bateman
Sent: Friday, December 7, 2018 2:52 PM
To: Patrick Reinhart
Cc: serviceability-dev@openjdk.java.net
Subject: Re: JDK-8171311 Current state

On 07/12/2018 08:36, Patrick Reinhart wrote:
> It's a bit disturbing that just at the time of my question this JEP
> has been closed (without any further comment why)
I suspect your inquiry prompted Raghavan to close it as there isn't (to
my knowledge anyway) anyone actively working on it. I agree a comment is
needed when closing issues.

> I think that it still would be worth while looking into supporting
> a REST based implementation in favour of the existing RMI based
> solution just by the fact of the troubles just one can have with
> firewalls.
Right, and I think there is some interest. In addition to the REST
adapters that you found then I think some of the app servers have
support too. The big question for features like this is whether it is
something that the JDK  has to include or not (the batteries included
vs. batteries available discussion).  If you look at Harsha's prototype
(linked from the JEP) then you'll you see it can be mostly developed in
its own project, the only JDK piece is integrating it with the JMX agent
and existing -Dcom.sun.management options for starting the JMX agent. I
think this is an area that could be improved to make it easier to deploy
JMX adapters that aren't in the JDK.

-Alan