On 6/21/19 12:14 PM, Peter Levart wrote:
On 6/21/19 8:38 PM, Chris Plummer wrote:
On 6/21/19 8:57 AM, David Holmes wrote:
Hi Peter,

On 21/06/2019 7:55 am, Peter Levart wrote:
As far as I know, cron jobs that cleanup /tmp typically remove files that have not been modified for a while.

On Fedora for example, there is a systemd timer that triggers once per day and executes systemd-tmpfiles which manages volatile and temporary files and directories. The configuration for /tmp is the following:

# Clear tmp directories separately, to make them easier to override
q /tmp 1777 root root 10d
q /var/tmp 1777 root root 30d

The age field (10 days for /tmp) has the following meaning:

        The age of a file system entry is determined from its last modification timestamp (mtime), its last access timestamp (atime), and (except for directories) its last status change         timestamp (ctime). Any of these three (or two) values will prevent cleanup if it is more recent than the current time minus the age field.

So the solution could be for attach thread (if it is already started) to update mtime or ctime of the .java_pid<pid> socket file periodically so cleanup job would leave it alone.

What do you think?

I'm not keen on having the attach listener thread periodically wakeup just to do this. Can we not change permissions to protect the file form external deletion and ensure the VM cleans it up itself?
I think the JVM has a mechanism for cleaning up stale java_pid files on startup (deleting those for which there is currently no java process running). We need to make sure that changing permissions does not break that.

Rather than  having the JVM update mtime on the file, perhaps the onus should be on the sys admin that is running scripts to clean up these files in the first place. The scripts could first update mtime on an java_pid files for which there is a java process still running.

Problem is that those scripts are usually already set-up by default.

OTOH it is relatively easy to create exceptions for files with a particular pattern. If /tmp/.java_pid* files are already managed by java launcher at every execution, then they need not be managed by a cron job. So there exists a workaround. It would only be more convenient if it was not needed.
I'm starting to second guess my thinking that there is any such .java_pid removal support. I thought I saw it once, but can't find it now. All I can find is that AttachListener::vm_start() will remove any stale .java_pid file in place for the current pid. And judging by the large collection of .java_pid files on my linux dev box, I doubt there is any removal.

What I might have been remembering is perfdata file removal. In /tmp/hsperfdata_<uid>/ I'm only seeing perfdata files for existing java processes.

Chris

Regards, Peter

Chris

David